Saturday, October 6, 2007

Comfortably Wrong


My local grocery store has this nifty machine that filters water seven different ways. Weekly, I fill twenty gallons of water for my salt water aquarium. My fish need untainted water for survival.


I thought wouldn't this machine be great in countries without wells or any clean water. Just plop it down in the desert, and line the village up. My friend Stephanie told me about the process for educating villagers on healthy sanitation and well drilling. The process is overwhelming to say the least.




Am I to comfortable to do anything about fresh water in developing countries? Is my time and money more valuable to me than people I will never meet? Are my efforts better spent in areas where I have greater influence?



Here is the funny part. Lots of people take up a cause, rattle cages, and look down on everyone else for not holding their same view. This kind of arrogance follows a segment of people from every cause, (Especially home owners associations). All to often I find some people have a hard time talking as they walk. Me included.


The better question might be will I stay comfortably wrong in my every day life? Will I talk to my parents more often? Will I come home earlier and play with my boys rather than sit on the couch? Will I offer the back rub or expect the usually? Usually the usual is pretty nice.


In the words of Eddy Murphy, "What have you done for me lately?" At least acknowledge when your comfortably wrong. Maybe one day some-one will become uncomfortably right.

No comments: