Thursday, March 12, 2009

By the way Great Freaking Job.

 

A week ago I took an incredibly long car ride. Greg Vander Wel and I set out to scout for beach baptism pavilions. During the very long time in the car, I made mention to Greg how important his job is on Sunday morning. He and Darren invented the roll of walking first time guests up to the second floor. Along the way they chit chat with the guests about Relevant in attempts to make them feel comfortable. What started out as just an idea has turned into a critical part of our guest experience. We now have five people trained to do the same thing.

While discussing the roll and its success Greg stops me and says “ I’m glad it’s working because I really have to put my self out there and you never really know how people respond.” I must have looked dumbfounded because I thought he knew how important I felt the job was. I just had not reinforced the role’s importance along the way.

All to often we/I can get used to how well things work and forget to celebrate the wins. Sometimes we even forget why the systems are in place and what impact they have.

HERE IS THE SHOCKER……. Since January, over 141 first time guests have come through Relevant’s doors. Over 98% of the guests who took our online survey said they felt welcomed. Imagine if 141 people gave church a try and no one paid attention to them?

I have known Greg for many years. I knew him when I worked for him in real estate and before he returned to a church regularly. I remember over a year ago after lunch in Ybor we were standing at his car in the Italian Club lot, telling him that he needed to man up and take his faith serious. A few weeks later he began coming to Relevant. I have watched his faith grow by leaps and bounds. Although he does not feel like he has arrived, I can see his faith journey growing every week.

I have 4 more stories just like Greg’s of how God is working in your lives and through your lives.

No comments: