Friday, January 9, 2009

A survey with all the wrong questions.

The recently returned to the YMCA after the new year. The place was clean and full of optimistic athletes. On the way out an employee asked me to fill out a survey about our YMCA.
The questions:
Did our staff greet you?
Did our staff use your name today?
Is our staff friendly?
Is the facility clean?
Other suggestions……

After answering the questions I commented, “ The racquetball courts could be swept more often.” During the summer, the courts are used by kids with seriously dirty shoes. Hand prints collect on the glass, what a fright. May times I thought that someone ought to take care of this.

As I went on with my day I remembered a conversation I had during the membership process. The intake person told me “YMCA’s depend on volunteers.” It’s part of the spiel. After a few days of working out, any thought of volunteering was gone. I’ve got lots of things; time is not one of them.

Back to the Survey, all the questions were associated with issues the staff control.
Inadvertently the priority of volunteerism has faded from the organization’s daily operations. Finally a thought occurred to me. What if I found a broom? What if I just cleaned the glass? Would I get in trouble if I just fixed the problem myself? Would these tasks be a help to some one other than me? Am I selfishly serving?

I think lots of times people hop from one church to another and they feel like the church staff are “the church”. I think many times people survey a church they attend and never ask the question, “What if I just fixed the broken toilet in the women’s room.” Often, people view their tithes like dues at a gym. Sadly, they find them selves looking for a new place that, “meets their needs.”

People who end up serving, do so for many reasons. Some serve to find friends, while others are thrilled to serve with no certain benefit. The reality is, if I only took a few minutes a week to make sure my court was cleaned, than the YMCA guys could do another more important task. Better yet, my ownership of the courts might spur others to do a small part them selves. Small tasks, even if selfishly done, still make a difference.

I am so proud that at Relevant our culture has not tuned into a staff does everything mentality. You guys are the ones who make every thing happen. Because of your ownership in the ministry here, you further embody your faith. Thanks for being fully engaged while you’re here.

No comments: