Saturday, July 19, 2008

I got it.

I got it.

 

11:46 Pm Sat. night. This week has been so busy that I just could not come up with one encouraging thought to put in my First Impressions e-mail: then tonight it hit me.

            Some of you know that I cook. I have worked with Mise en Place while at college and during catering season totaling 11 years. It’s great fun & hard work. I see a lot of the same people and there is a deep sense of community shared among people of the food industry. Tonight there was a wedding: little did I know that when they said they needed me that they really meant it. There were four chefs on the gig, two of which are clearly much better chefs than I. Without going into all the details our team was under a huge time crunch. We only had to pull together “passed appetizers”, “3 appetizer stations”, and seated salad and dinner course for 278 people. All in 3 hours.

            To put this into context I know I can cook, I know that I have a decent palette, but I know in reality I am small potatoes compared to the REAL CHEFS from Mise en Place. The night went on mostly without a hitch. As the DJ played the song “ This is the Last Dance”, the lead chef on the gig, Larry said to me; “Thanks for busting it out tonight.” I did my usual “ thanks for letting me be on the team”. Larry knew I brushed off his complement and he followed it up with “ What do you mean, we couldn’t have made it without you tonight.” I was underestimating what value I brought to the team. I don’t know if you’re like me; where you forget what value you bring to those people in your life. When I realized that Larry really appreciated my help tonight I felt great.

            Some times on a Sunday morning I will give a compliment or two that seem so over the top that I must not really mean it. I tell someone on my Relevant Team that what they do matters, and because of the way I say it or because they might view their job as insignificant they don’t believe my compliment. Rest assured I DON’T GIVE vain compliments.

            See for Larry the restaurant is his only life. When you guys walk into Relevant to serve you are walking into my life. You bring what you have to offer not only to me but more importantly to God. I want you to know from my perspective that I can’t do it without you. From God’s perspective, He created the Heavens and Earth and still includes you in accomplishing His will.

Thank you for moving tables, counting money, greeting and tearing down. Thanks to all of you; Amanda, Andrea, Anthony, Ben, Erin, Bill, Tina, Camille, Kristin, Shannon, Chenelle, Angela, Chris, Chris, Clay, Darren, Julie, Katie, David, Dave, Derrell, Edwin, Krissi, Elysia, Dory, Eric, Greg, Carly, Jason, Jenna, Jennifer, Jenny, Jerry, Janet, Allison, Jim, John, Jonathan, Michelle, Jonathan, Katrina, Ken, Kiani, Kimberly, Donna, Kyle, Lauren, Katy, Matt, Melissa, Sharon, Mike, Philip, Nicole, Rebecca. There is more but I don't have emails, It's staggering to think 68 of you make Relevant happen, In my team alone. I am truly humbled.

Thanks again,

Jamie

            

No comments: