Thursday, July 2, 2009

Why do we serve?

This morning I found myself stuck in a flood of water. Car stalled out, other motorists were passing me on every side. I wasn’t sure what to do. The closest exit had a steep incline, that I didn’t think I could handle by myself. I tried to crank the motor a few times to no avail.

I was trying to figure out how to get this car out of the road. Call AAA, push, just wait right there till it dries out. In the back of my head I was reminded of how I never stop to help any one in auto distress. I usually justify my unhelpful behavior with “I don’t know how to fix cars” or “ I’m going to be late”. I was not counting on any help from a fellow motorist because I am not a helper myself. I may be insensitive but at least I am a consistent insensitive jerk.

A man wrapped in a yellow rain coat is riding his bike down the sidewalk. He appeared like the type that would hold a sign in an intersection “Homeless-Vet God Bless”. The guy approaches my car and hollers through his salt and pepper bushy beard, “You want me to push you out of the road?” I took my shoes off and together we pushed my car up the steep incline to a dry spot in a parking lot. I shook his hand and thanked him and we went our separate ways.

While I was waiting for my engine to dry out I wondered a few things.

Why did this guy help? He was on a bike clearly going somewhere. Why would he help me when I surely wouldn’t help him? Was he already wet and figured might as well? Was he hoping that I would hook him up with some money?

After getting the car started I continued my journey through the flooded streets of South Tampa; cars flooded everywhere. In Hyde Park I passed a woman that almost had water in the doors. I thought I couldn’t push that car alone, she won’t help. She was in a business suit. In the back of my head the passage about the Good Samaritan played over and over. Here I am the church guy who was just helped and I passed others in need.

Here are my questions:

  • What does it take to live a life of service? To be at the point where we respond to needs instead of reflect about needs.
  • How do motives play into our decisions to respond to needs? What motives prevent us from responding when opportunity slaps us in the face?  Many people serve with wrong motives yet God blesses their efforts. How can we identify our motives and realign our heart with our actions?

 

The next day I was on my way to work and I noticed a nice Mercedes with a blown tire in the road. I didn’t want to be a dirt bag two days in a row so I turned around and offered to push her out of traffic.  

No comments: