Thursday, December 16, 2010

Violating Christmas Hope

This year I’ve been tutoring at BT Washington. Each week on Thursdays, Larry teaches me a little more about life. When I first met Larry he was donned with seriously cool dreadlocks which were the kind grown for years, not as a fad. I chatted with his mom, Peaches, over the phone one day. I’m not sure she knew how to take me, but I let her know what tutoring was about and that I was here to help if she ever needed it.

Larry moved from Alabama, and without prying I guess they moved back to Tampa for a second chance. The hum in the teacher’s break room about the new kid reflected that he was rambunctious and was goanna need a little extra help. I’m not sure what they left back home, but this was Larry’s new home and I became a little part of it.

The three’s times tables are the hardest part of our hour together. Well, focusing on something other than the computer racing games is pretty hard too. For some reason, B.T. kids look forward to the time with us old people. When a kid gets a tutor, it’s like they have entered into an exclusive club. Tutors are treated like celebrities. The reality is that I probably get more out of our relationship than he does. When he begs me to stay for lunch, he teaches me about being a father. He also sharpens my multiplication and checkers skills.

Life has hit Larry’s family pretty hard the past couple of weeks. Besides his sister’s frightening seizures that have bound her to the hospital for a time, the family apartment was robbed over the weekend. From the street their apartment looks appealing considering it overlooks the river, but driving through the streets, a closer look reveals the typical neighborhood role models. These role models include young people standing idle in unsavory groups solidifying their bleak future.

See, when Larry’s apartment was breached, so was his trust. This trust is the very basic trust that says my home is safe and full of hope. The bad guys not only took the electronics, school supplies and clothes, but they also opened up Christmas presents and left only wrappings. Larry’s family Christmas this year was unwrapped alright, just not by them.

So where does that leave Larry and his family? Simply, they need your help. First things first, they need clothes and school supplies. Larry is a Size 10 and his sister is a size 14. His brother is size 36. If you have any clothes you would be proud having on these kid’s backs then bring them on Sunday. If you don’t have kids this age or size, but would like to help, you can donate monetarily through PayPal or give on Sunday and designate your offering to the Smith Family. All donations to the Smith Family will be personally managed by the Relevant Church staff and officials from BTW to make sure the most vital family needs are met.

To be totally honest, when I got the email about this situation, I read the first few lines and almost deleted it. I thought it was sent to a mailing list. I didn’t realize until after re-reading that it was about my tutor kid’s family. This tutor thing is getting kinda real.

No comments: