Thursday, April 23, 2009

I am whole again

    This week my computer went into the service shop. She needed a little tune up.  The man took my computer put it in a box affixed my name to it and sent it behind the repair door. Some expert was replacing the logic board. It's his every day job so I'm sure he is thinking here we go again "another logic board". The computers he doctors back to life are just that, machines. They really begin to look the same after a while. I quickly began to realize that I watched a very important part of me go behind closed doors for repair. 
    This repair dude held in his hand my most of my work life, personal life and, social time. Twenty four hours passed and my anxiety went through the roof. I felt like a naked man on the city streets holding nothing but an Iphone. I was on a forced vacation because I couldn't really work. The phone rings at 8:20pm "your computer is ready for pick up." I thought "you mean life is ready to begin again". 8:57pm I enter the store, because waiting till 10:00am the next day was to much to take. Finally, in my hands again was my life. I walked out of the store with the laptop proudly held above my head.

    Tuns out a logic board is important and expensive. Because of my warrantee I got me a new one for free. But I began to think, does the guy who replaces computer boards, with his fancy screw drivers, know what importance his job has? Were not talking about Blart the mall cop here. We are talking about fixing a device that I spend hours working with every day. I spend more time with this than I do my wife or my kids.

    When you serve at Relevant you are affecting people in very real ways.  When people come to Relevant they are trusting us with very important things; time, mental attention, emotional openness, their kids, most of all access to their soul. The second greatest fulfillment I have experienced is watching people's lives changed because of your commitment.

No comments: