Saturday, May 24, 2008

My chubby 1 year old cuts through silent chaos to remind daddy to love.

I guess that often you have days like mine. Days where you tell the wife, "hey I will be home in an hour", and that hour turns into two. Well recently I had one of those where I called Carly with my intended arrival and could hear the kids in the background grinding away at her patients. 

When I finally arrive home, late, I notice dinner sitting coldly on the counter. Carly was finishing the boys bath.  I could tell I was walking into tense moment. Dinner was reheated and plates abruptly put on the table. Each boy was put in their seat. 

Carly and I both had one of those days and shared very little in way of conversation. You know kids never just behave. Each screaming their own dinner objections. Ethan whines about his nuggets and choice of juice cup. Connor pushes away his bottle. Carly and I fire back with frustrated grunts and a "just sit there". Carly hands Connor a musical greeting card to keep him busy. Ethan continues his protests.  

Then in an unexpected moment of silence Connor, my chubby one year, old opens the greeting card. The first utterance of noise encouraged Conner's biggest smile. The song begins to play " All my love my darling, I hunger for your touch." I began to feel again. My eyes warmed with emotion. Just about cried on that one. 

See this was the card left over from Mother's day. It seems lessons memorialized on such a day can be forgotten so quickly. My son helped me remember how much I love the one who does so much.

No comments: